Friday, January 25, 2013

Blog 1-Women


The article I read was called “Thoughts and concerns regarding Irish abortion laws.”  This article talks about how Ireland, a catholic country does not allow abortion unless the mother’s life is in danger.  The article addresses one issue where a young woman dentist named Savita Halappanavar was miscarrying died because she was not given the option to receive an abortion.  After this Ireland abortion advocates and all over the world turned this tragedy into a rallying cry for legalizing abortion.  Ireland has laws that protect the lives of both the mother and the unborn child, which is why abortion is illegal, but the doctors will perform life-saving treatments to save the mother even if the unborn is at risk.  They don’t consider this treatment abortion since the abortion is performed with intent to kill the child.  It is taken that if the child survives doctors performing treatment on the mother, then it’s not a fail.  With Ireland having this exception concerning women and “abortion” the people are hoping that other exceptions will not be taken into consideration causing abortion to actually be performed.
       I can somewhat agree with what the laws are in Ireland state regarding abortion according t this article.  It stated that it has to be the woman’s life being in stake and not her health, and this is where I got stuck.  If her health is failing wouldn't this lead to her life being in stake?  I can stand behind them however that they allow treatments to help the mother. Being that I am not catholic, it’s hard for me to agree 100%.  I believe that everyone has a different story and considering rape, would the mother be allowed the choice or would she have to go through with the pregnancy and have to remember her experience through the eyes of the child.  The article brings forth points that made me think and I really felt for the husband whom lost his wife because of a choice she wasn't allowed.  The article could have given more into the actual law itself and if exceptions were permitted.


Deanna Thompson 1/25/13 3:26pm

No comments:

Post a Comment