Friday, February 1, 2013

Blog 1: Families

As I began to do research for my chosen topic of "Families", I noticed that there was a real scarcity of articles having to do with families, and even fewer that I could view for free. Luckily, I knew of an article that my brother had purchased for a project on suicides among teenagers, and I asked if I could read it.

This article talks about how children who have been in the unfortunate case of living in a "broken" home, or rather one where the original two parents are no longer around, and how not only are there a higher rate of suicides, but overall the children have many more emotional problems, such as depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation, and in some rare cases anger management problems.

This article also reveals the statistics that children from these homes are much more likely to be what society has deemed as "deviant", whether it's committing crimes or doing drugs, or even looking for the love and affection missed at home in dangerous and unsafe places. Whether it's illegal or not, there seems to be, according to this article, a void that is left in every child.

That is not to say that every child whose parents are no longer married are doomed to live lives as terrible and sick people - very far from it, in reality, I should think - but rather that the void from not having a pair of parents there to support you is capable of bringing a person down.

Divorce is something not unheard of in the United States, but in countries where there is not as much sophistication, there is also the possibility of losing a member of your family to death, whether in be in war, from lack of food, poor health, or a multitude of other life-taking factors. This too can scar a child, and it is something that is felt universally: loss.

Overall, this article was indeed interesting; however, I wish it had played more on the fact that not everyone whose parents are divorced is going to be depressed or do cocaine to "fill the void". Some children are strong enough to find the fill in other ways.

4:27pm 2/1/2013
Jentry Womack

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140197196900779

No comments:

Post a Comment