In the article I read it stated that Greensboro's crime rate is actually higher as a city thatn North Carolina as a state. The article stated that "Greensboro, North Carolina has a violent crime rate of
864 incidents per 100,000 people. This compares with a rate of 710 in North
Carolina and a rate of 676 nationally." Greensboro actually is in the higher percentage also for violent crimes nationally, and city to city has a higher violent crime rate than a very large portion of other cities in North Carolina. In 2008 it was also reported that "Greensboro, North Carolina has a property crime rate
of 6334.7 incidents per 100,000 people. This compares with an average rate of
5547.7 in North Carolina and an average rate of 3727 incidents per 100,000
nationally." Once again Greensoro having more crime in a certain area then North Carolina as a whole.
I decided to choose Greensboro because I was interesting in seeing how the crime really is here. it shocked me a lot to see that Greensboro as a city trumps North Carolina in more than one area of crime. I think one of the reasonings behind this would probably be the sixe of Greensboro. it's one of north Carolina's bigger cities so I guess it would only be natural that it would have a high crime rate. I also think Greensoro crime rate is high because of all of the colleges in the area. I am not suggesting that the college students are committing the majority of the crimes, however, I do feel that having so many colleges one attracts youth from all over from areas like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham to come to Greensboro. For those youths that come here that do not attend school or work full time resort to crime. I think having so many college students also makes the students easy targets for older and more experienced offenders also because for many of us students it's our first real chance of being truly out on your own. So we are easy targets.
http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereports/view/crime_report.cfm?state=NC&area=Greensboro
3/1/2013 2:37 pm Soc 202-02
No comments:
Post a Comment