Thursday, March 7, 2013

Blog 6


The article I read for this week’s blog hit close to home. The article was about women’s rights in Mexico and how their treated. Being raised in America I never experienced the situations that are described in the article, but I have heard stories from my family members. It disturbs me to know that my own culture practices something I am so deeply against. The article started off my disusing how corrupt the government is and how much of a problem it is. Not only are the women being abused but so are the children, kids grown up seeing this behavior at home and repeat the cycle when they grow up. They all believe women have certain roles and that the way they are talked about in the streets and in the community define who they are. Even though I don’t see the exaggerated version of this I still see it with in my family. My mom always tells my sister and I that she doesn’t want to catch people talking bad about us so we have to be good girls outside of the house. I don’t blame my mom for the way she thinks this was how she was raised and this is how she thinks, personally my sister and I don’t really care what people say about us.

            The article pointed out some reasons why women are deprived of their rights. The main reason why women are still being abused is the government. They don’t seem to care for women’s rights the culture deems women as less than men therefore they don’t get the same rights as men. Women live in fear and they can’t tell the authorities for fear that they will tell their husband brother father uncle or what not and they will get beaten even more or even get killed. Many crimes against women don’t get reported. Not only is it the culture but it’s also the money the police gets a very low income so they make money by being bribed, they turn the other cheek and it’s the women who have to pay the price. It’s a horrible vicious circle that doesn’t seem to have an outing. A possible solution would be education, educating young women and men so that they don’t fall into the circle but were are people going to get the money if the government only looks out for themselves? Many women who try to fix this horrible problem are over looked and don’t get credit because it seems like people just don’t care.  

Dalila Aguilar

3/7/13

12:28 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment